I think its sporadic, but I plan to keep a better track to see if I can nail
down any repeatable patterns. On the whole, I think most of the time it
works when you create a review. The one that I can't seem to get to work too
often is when reviewers publish new comments (In other words, not the
initial publish, but the publishing that goes on when a review is in
progress). I'll follow up.

By the way, just updated to r1537, I like the new comment feature on
publish. That's nice.