Tee - your best bet is to just get stuck in and play :-)

I've not come across any docs other than what is in the code, I ended up
setting up a reviewboard server to svn and seeing what it did as well as
creating an empty NEWscmtool that subclasses SCMTool and adding methods
as they were called when I tried to use my new scm.

I used a mix of live debugging in pdb and the occasional "print" statement.