Okay, I noticed something interesting. I think I've been running the
patch.exe in cygwin\bin (GnuWin32\bin and cygwin\bin are both on my
PATH but GnuWin32\bin doesn't contain patch). I think I'm using the
same diffutils package as you but it doesn't come with the patch tool.
Anyway that would explain the goofy behaviour and why diff works but
I'm wondering where you got your patch tool since even the .zip
folders on:

Don't contain a 'patch' exec.

While we're at it what does review board use to perform diffs? Would
it be trying to use my hooped cygwin patchutils tools?