I set up pylucene....
I added the path to libjava.so to /etc/ld.so.conf and loaded it using

# ldconfig -p | grep libjava.so
        libjava.so (libc6, hwcap: 0x0001000000000000) => /usr/lib/jvm/

if you now do
# python
>>> import lucene
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/lucene-2.4.0-py2.4-linux-
i686.egg/lucene/__init__.py", line 2, in ?
    import os, _lucene
ImportError: libjava.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

if you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH before you run python, the import will

My reviewboard uses mod_python and I am not sure how to solve this
issue since mod_python seems to ignore my ldconfig as well.

I did manage to build the full index on the command line after setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I can't search, because mod_python ignores the
shared libs in ldconfig :(

Any help or pointers are appreciated.