Where are the settings stored for logging and authentication?

Here's my problem. If I go to the "Logging" setting, I turn on the
"Enable Logging" checkbox, and type in a path, which I know that
Apache can write to. Then I hit the "Save" button, and the "Log
directory" box is blank. If I refresh the page, it stays blank. It
appears that this settings isn't actually sticking.

And I've had problems setting up the Advanced Authentication settings
(I'd really like to use either AD authentication, or through LDAP).
But the settings don't seem to stick, even though I get the green
checkbox with "Settings have been saved".

Aren't these settings just written to the database? If not, which
directories are being written to, so I can make sure that apache can
write to them?

Thanks for any help,
-Dan.