There's no mechanism in place for this. There's been other requests for it,
but nothing in place, and it'd be a bit of work to implement. We wouldn't be
able to get to it in 1.0, so it may be best as an extension once that lands
post-1.0.

Users may also need staff access by default, which is risky.

One option is that we could have a setting for allowing any user to create
groups, and then provide a form either in or linked to in the Preferences
page. That could land in something like a 1.1 or 1.5, if someone wants to do
the work. That has the advantage of not needing permission or staff support.