We have the same problem with large project files, and in our case the
xml gets rearranged whenever the project file is saved.  The resulting
diffs could be so monstrous that we could not load the review request
pages.

To deal with this problem, I wrote a script that deletes file diffs
from the review board database after a review request has been
created.  That's a poor solution, but it's working for now.  I wrote
it for a RB version from October, and have not tested it with the
latest alphas.  One major drawback is that RB can still choke on
simply trying to create a review request from such a large file.

The key SQL code is:

DELETE FROM
diffviewer_filediff
WHERE diffviewer_filediff.dest_file LIKE
%s
AND diffviewer_filediff.diffset_id
IN
    (SELECT id FROM diffviewer_diffset
diffset
     WHERE diffset.history_id
=
         (SELECT diffset_history_id FROM reviews_reviewrequest
request
          WHERE request.id =
%s)
     )

You supply a request ID and a file name pattern.

I have uploaded the script as "erase_diff.py" into the files section
of this group.

Noah