Results for question #2:
I installed FireBug and setup the console to show logging. I then
brought up one of the reviews that has been a problem for us and
showed hundreds of HTTPS GET requests for diff comments, each taking
about ~200-300 milliseconds. It took ~6 minutes to fully load the
page.

I then set the $("review.body").hide() and refreshed the page, and it
still took almost 3 minutes to load. The same HTTPS GET requests were
being displayed, but this time they only took ~90milliseconds and were
showing "304 Not Modified".

This is my first use of FireBug so please advise if you'd like more or
different information.