Thanks for the help!  The tip about mod_env was right. mod_env was not
being loaded.

This was easy to fix by editing  /etc/sysconfig/apache and restarting
the server.

Now apache restarts with no errors.  However, something is still
somewhat amiss.  I go to http://<myhost>/reviewboard/ and I get a: 404
page does not exist.

It does however give me a default review board screen of some sort,
which I'll paste in ascii below.
I've chowned the htdocs/media directory as per the documentation.

    * - Bugs
    * - Report bug

Review Board
beta

    * All review requests
    * Groups
    * Submitters

The page you were looking for does not exist.

If you're pretty sure this page does exist, try logging in and trying
again.

---

Thanks,

Kimon