This isn't really that doable today, and would come with a lot of problems.
Particularly, files are tied to a revision, and as soon as something in that
directory changes, all old diffs will break.

I'm a little confused about your setup. So you have third party projects (or
are they your own?) you want to contribute code, but your Review Board
server that you're putting the patches on is private and behind your
firewall? It seems that this defeats some of the usefulness of Review Board
to me.

What repository types are these? Generally with SVN and Git, you can access
repositories (in a read-only fashion anyway) over HTTP, which most
firewalls/proxies should allow just fine. If the problem is configuring the
proxy server to use, that is something we should make easier, but I believe
you should be able to do it by setting the HTTP_PROXY and http_proxy
environment variables in your Apache configuration using the SetEnv
directive, like so:

SetEnv HTTP_PROXY http://proxy.example.com:1234/
SetEnv http_proxy http://proxy.example.com:1234/

Note that I have not tested this, so I can't be 100% sure it will work, but
generally these variables are respected.