On 03/29/09 02:56, Christian Hammond wrote:
> This isn't really that doable today, and would come with a lot of
> problems. Particularly, files are tied to a revision, and as soon as
> something in that directory changes, all old diffs will break.

Ahh, I didn't think of the older diffs.  I was thinking of using it as a
means to comment on diffs and have updated diffs submitted based on
comments.  I wasn't too worried about the history in this case.

> I'm a little confused about your setup. So you have third party projects
> (or are they your own?) you want to contribute code, but your Review

Well, I'm the lead developer for the sub-project in question but I don't
host the repository.  This is for the Mayavi project
(http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi) and the repository is here:

  https://svn.enthought.com/svn/enthought/Mayavi/trunk

> Board server that you're putting the patches on is private and behind
> your firewall? It seems that this defeats some of the usefulness of
> Review Board to me.

Well, I'm in a university and some of my students/staff send me patches
from time to time. Now upstream does not provide a review board so I
wanted to host one for any patches I get internally at least.  I find
that I like to comment on the provided diff and get an updated diff
before I check in and there doesn't seem to be a nice diff annotator
that I can use, I was wondering if I could (ab)use reviewboard to do
that.  Meld is nice for merging or applying a patch but not for
annotating a diff and sending it back to a contributor for fixes.  I
guess codereview.appspot.com is a possibility but I wanted to host this
locally -- it does look like codereview might work well for this
particular case though.  Of course, I will be using reviewboard for my
other internal projects.

Poking around in the scmtools directory and that led me to the localfile
tool.  I tried that but did not succeed.  I don't recall the error
message now.  I ran out of time so did not try and fix it to get it to work.

> What repository types are these? Generally with SVN and Git, you can
> access repositories (in a read-only fashion anyway) over HTTP, which
> most firewalls/proxies should allow just fine. If the problem is
> configuring the proxy server to use, that is something we should make
> easier, but I believe you should be able to do it by setting the
> HTTP_PROXY and http_proxy environment variables in your Apache
> configuration using the SetEnv directive, like so:
>
> SetEnv HTTP_PROXY http://proxy.example.com:1234/
> SetEnv http_proxy http://proxy.example.com:1234/
>
> Note that I have not tested this, so I can't be 100% sure it will work,
> but generally these variables are respected.

Thanks for the hint.  I tried that and added them next to the
DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE and PYTHON_EGG_CACHE env vars but still no
success.  For a tiny test patch, I still get

SCMError: PROPFIND request failed on
'/svn/enthought/Mayavi/trunk/README-tvtk.txt'
PROPFIND of '/svn/enthought/Mayavi/trunk/README-tvtk.txt': could not
connect to server (https://svn.enthought.com)

subversion itself has no trouble going through the proxy.  I suspect
that the pysvn tool doesn't quite work with the proxy.  I also tried
HTTPS_PROXY in the above but no luck.

cheers,
prabhu