This bit from the Beta 1 Release Notes seems suspect:

"Added support for disabling user registration. This provides a
checkbox in the General Settings page for disabling user registration.
This only takes effect when using standard authentication, and will
hide the "Register" link and redirect requests made to /account/
register/ to the /account/login/ page instead."