Hi Isaac.

Comments inline.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Isaac Wagner <geekyis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We use perforce, but I doubt IT will allow me to globally add a property to
> the server.
> I wouldn't mind writing a patch to implement a global config file.  I'd
> need a few questions answered first:
> 1. In Linux the file would go in /etc.  What about Windows?  What should be
> the default path?

This I don't know, so I'm going to hold off on answering it.

Falling back to something like /etc is probably fine, but in many cases it
may not be good enough. It means getting a config file on every developer's
system in the right place, and it makes for a maintenance nightmare if you
end up, say, creating a second Review Board server and need to update that
config file. You'd really want one central place where all clients can look
this up. I don't know how to handle this case, and it's orthogonal to
falling back on /etc, but it's something we should give some thought to.

2. I envision the behavior like this:  Read the global file, then merge in
> the users setting.  If the user overrides something in the global then keep
> the users settings.  This way the users inherit all the global settings, but
> can override them as needed/desired.  Is that OK?

That sounds fine.

> 3. I would like to change the config file format to be readable by the
> config parser that comes with Python.  Is that acceptable?  The format I
> have in mind would be something like this:

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with this, because too many people use the
existing format, and changing it doesn't offer immediate advantages beyond
syntactic sugar. If we did do this, we'd need to keep compatibility with the
old format indefinitely.

While it does make sense to have a simplified format, it might be better to
hold off until RBTools evolves to the point where we use a config file that
can be shared by various tools (as, say, a ~/.rbtoolsrc) instead of the
post-review-specific one.

> url = http://rb.mysite.com
> [http://svn.example.com]
> url = http://reviewboard.example.com
> [usern...@cvs.example.com:/cvsroot/cvs]
> url = http://reviewboard.example.com
> Let me know what you think.  I can't promise this to be fast (since I
> should probably try to keep my day job), but it is something that I would
> find useful and think perhaps others would too.

Understandable :)