With this SCM, is the change identifier a server-stored ID that contains the
description and other information for Review Board to parse? Or is it more
like an atomic ID representing that change that gets pushed to the server
when committed?

If the former, and if you want to support pulling that information from the
server, then we'll need a patch to make Review Board less strict about the
type of input, and move validation of the ID into the SCMTools.

If the latter, then it's not really any different from our current SCMTools.
The changeset field is really for specifying an ID of an uncommitted change
that the SCM repository already knows about and has information useful for
automatically pulling into the review request when created.