An UnboundLocalError is when you reference a variable that hasn't been given
a value yet. That doesn't seem to be the case anywhere in that function.
Perhaps it's coming from inside ldap.

If you can temporarily modify backends.py (this will require a web server
restart), try changing that final "except" to be:

logging.warning("An error while LDAP-authenticating:")
logging.warning(sys.exc_info())

And see what that says.