On Thursday 21 May 2009 16:17:12 David Trowbridge wrote:
> At VMware, we have a couple thousand engineers working on a single
> server. Granted, I think it's a VM
> with 4GB of RAM and multiple vcpus, but it's still a single server.
> We've been addressing performance recently, and while it's pretty
> good, there's still more to do. MySQL
> isn't a big bottleneck--most of it is computing the diffs to display.
> I don't think you'll have any trouble
> getting 200 people up and running.

Regarding the method to handle diffs.

How do you think wouldn't it be faster if ReviewBoard internal data model was
slightly different? Instead of keeping patches it might keep entire source
and target files. In this case diffviewer job looks less demanding (now it
anyway deals with both files, and target file is produced by patch, which
isn't that fast, I guess). Also such data-model allows to see difference
between any versions of a changed file, not only between its "source"
and "target" states. This might be usefull to quickly see if a developer
actually put requested changes to a review being discussed.

Best regards,
Alexey Morozov