Sorry you're hitting this. I don't know what's causing it and certainly
haven't seen this particular error myself, but this code is flawed anyway
and I do want to replace it ASAP.

Upgrades are really easy. It boils down to:

   $ easy_install -U ReviewBoard
   $ rb-site upgrade /path/to/site
   $ /etc/init.d/apache2 restart