Hmm... I don't know about that. I mean, if you really wanted to try and stick
unique identifiers in your p4 commands so you could track which ones were
currently pending, I guess you could, but I assume your Perforce administrators
would get cranky at you. ;) Also, I don't really know how feasible that would
be for showing progress... I mean, all you get from monitor is what processes
are still alive, and how long they've been running. Maybe I misunderstood where
you were going with that.

The main purpose of throwing in a -zprog is just to make things a little
prettier on the Perforce side. It lets you identify your application to the
server, so logs and monitor output will display that instead of a generic "p4"
(for post-review) or whatever the p4 python api reports (for Review Board).
Mostly this is just a way of playing nice in the general Perforce environment.
Though this might also allow RB admins who also have access to Perforce server
logs to get a better sense of how they are affecting or being affected by
Perforce performance. (There may be other ways of identifying Review Board in
logs depending on your configuration--user, RB server IP--though probably not
for post-review).

This wouldn't be a huge change (just tack that on to p4 commands, and set
something in the p4python connection object) and I would think the only major
reason not to do it is if people didn't really want Review Board reported as
reviewboard or similar in their Perforce logs.

-- Paul