Thanks.  That answers what's wrong.  The PyLucene package in Ubuntu
9.04 is built against Python 2.5 (http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/
pylucene).  But mod_python is built using Python 2.6 (http://
packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libapache2-mod-python).  So much for the
idea of using Ubuntu 9.04 to avoid manually building PyLucene.
Guessing there's no way around this.