Ok, this probably sounds like a stupid question, but I'm curious what
functionality the connection to the repository brings to RB
(Subversion in my example).

When I create a diff for a review (on the command line via 'svn
diff'), and then upload the diff, RB appears to make a check against
the repo for some kind of validation.  But beyond that I don't see
what the repo connection provides in terms of actual functionality;
the diff already provides all the info necessary for the review (minus
the base path which we manually enter anyway).

I bet if I was a more seasoned user I wouldn't be asking this.

Thanks for reading,
Eric P.