I have hit a dead end trying to enable email notifications for our RB

My users have an email address specified in Auth/Users.
My users are part of a review group.
The review group has no mailing list specified.
In Settings/E-Mail "Send e-mails for review requests and reviews" is
checked and a verified server is specified.

When I submit a review to the group there is no email activity.
I cannot find anything in the log file nor is there any error message.