On Friday 31 July 2009 23:19:01 Nathan Heijermans wrote:
> I have an implementation of x.509 authentication working that bypasses
> the "Login" screen. I had to add a middleware class to the django site
> settings (I copied the MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES from settings.py to my
> settings_local.py and added my own middleware class). My middleware
> class has a process_request() function that uses the mod_ssl-set
> environment variables to figure out the user name, and then directly
> calls the login() function in my backend. I also haven't figured out how
> to get multiple authentication backends working nicely with Django; it
> seemed that when I didn't explicitly call the backend login()
> implementation I wanted, I randomly got the login screen anyway without
> being able to log in using my password.

This basically sound like what I intend to implement. Would you mind sharing
some patches?

> There is a remaining problem that I have yet to resolve, and that is
> authenticating with my certificate from the post-review tool. I'd like
> to use a password-protected, but Python doesn't make that easy at all; I
> end up having to enter my password each time python makes a web request.
> Having post-review is definitely nice, but the web UI doesn't seem as
> opaque any more :).

I would probably prefer to continue to use user/password authentication with
post-review as manual setup would be required to get hold of the X.509 client
key/cert from post-review whereas the certificate comes pre-installed in the
web browser's secure store for all users. So, I hope your statement about the
usage of multiple authentication backends being tricky does not apply to this
scenario. ;-)