More:

I traced the source of that parameter to get_original_file() in
diffutils.py.  When I bypass the cache lookup and just return the
result of the fetch_file() sub-function I can display diffs properly,
although response is very slow as expected.  Any ideas where I should
look to determine why the cache contents would be wrong?  (I do have
the memcached server installed)

Thanks!