Yeah, updating an existing review request just won't work, since the
repository has changed.

I have no objections to setting things up with gmane, though I don't know
enough about gmane to know exactly how this will work. I assume when you
reply it still is sent to the mailing list, meaning you need to subscribe
anyway.