Looking at the code, the exact thing that it's trying to do is:

git --git-dir=/path/to/your/git/tree config core.repositoryformatversion

See what happens when you try that. If that fails, then you'll see that
ImportError (there's a much better, human-readable error in the upcoming
1.1).

Also, you actually want to make sure it's the parent directory of .git, not
the .git directory itself.