The password field in Admin UI expects an encrypted password, so setting
something there won't actually give them a password they can use. There's a
way to do it from a Python shell, if you wanted to go that route:

    $ rb-site manage /path/to/site shell
    >>> from django.contrib.auth.models import User
    >>> User.objects.create_user("newusername", "e-m...@address",
"password")

You can call create_user as many times as you need. Should at least save you
from needing to turn on manual registration.

Were you using something like LDAP before? With LDAP, NIS, etc., we
authenticate against the server, so it shouldn't even need to check the
passwords in the database.