Hi Jason,

A standard diff -u doesn't contain the revision information needed, and a
git diff by default uses short SHA1s, which we can't use to fetch the files.
You will need to use either post-review (recommended) or git diff
--full-index.

post-review with Subversion should support renames and posting diffs of
existing commits.

What versions of Review Board and of post-review are you using?

Can you show me exactly what happens with post-review in the two cases
(renames and existing commits)? You can run post-review with --debug for
more information, which would help to diagnose an issue.