I'm actually having the same problem (I think).
I can set up a site, create an admin user with a name that I know is
not in AD, set RB to use AD, then become totally locked out of that
site.
AD doesn't work and the admin login doesn't work anymore.
I have to just delete the site and recreate it using "rb-site
install".
I even tried turning logging on before switching AD logins on and,
well, after I got the generic startup messages (2 lines total) nothing
appeared in the log.
No errors, no failure messages, *nothing at all*.

Oh, I have TLS off for my AD connections. I can use various LDAP
browsers to connect to the domain controller without encryption and
browse around, so I figure I don't need encryption or any additional
permissions.

Thanks,
Michael