The problem looks similar to this old django bug:
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4845

I had a look in my /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/Django-1.1.1-
py2.6.egg/django/core/cache/backends/memcached.py

In all functions, the key was wrapped by the django smart_str type,
except for
def incr(self, key, delta=1):
    return self._cache.incr(key, delta)
def decr(self, key, delta=1):
    return self._cache.decr(key, delta)

I changed these to
def incr(self, key, delta=1):
    return self._cache.incr(smart_str(key), delta)

def decr(self, key, delta=1):
    return self._cache.decr(smart_str(key), delta)

 .. the upgrade now runs fine -- just to learn no evolution was
required :).

 -- Jeppe