Hi Aaron,

Comments inline.

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Aaron Sherman <a...@ajs.com> wrote:

> Wow, thanks for all the detail! I'll definitely give this a shot on Monday!
> Some inline comments:
>

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Christian Hammond <chip...@chipx86.com>wrote:
>

>> The possible bottlenecks I can think of are:
>>
>> 1) Fetching the file from the repository
>>

> Seems not to be the issue (if the repository's logs can be trusted).
>

>> 2) Performing the diff between the original file and the patched file
>>

> Seems quite possible. This would, I expect, be the first thing to care
> about the file contents, no?

It is quite possible. Right now the diff algorithm is probably as fast as
it's going to get without being written in C. It's possible something is
tripping it up, but I'd expect it to be a rare problem and not something
commonly reproducible. I can't ever think of a case where it's going to be
as slow as you guys are seeing, though.

>> 3) Applying syntax highlighting.
>>

> Does this get done to the entire file or only the difference sections that
> are shown initially?

The entire file. It's the only way for it to work.

This is done with the Pygments library. One thing to investigate is which
version is running on the server and whether newer versions offer speed
improvements.

In the upcoming 1.5 release, we've bumped the minimum version, but mainly
for feature improvements. I don't know whether they've done any
optimizations.

>> What file type was it?
>>

> It's some sort of text file that looks to be a sort of manifest. I'm not
> too familiar with the project that owns it, sadly, but it does appear to be
> plain text except for the leading BOM.

I wouldn't expect syntax highlighting to be a factor at all, then.

>> We haven't tested with files containing a BOM. It's possible something
>> breaks from it. We'd have to test it.
>>

> I wouldn't have even mentioned it, but I happened to have come across an
> OpenGrok issue with BOMs that my predecessor had been tracking and it made
> me wonder.

Interesting. Do you have more information on what about the BOM broke it?
And how it broke?