We have a few things planned and in development for the level of
customization you guys want.

1) We have some things that will be in the 1.6 release (it's actually
written today, just isn't scheduled for 1.5) for WebHooks, which allow for
calling external scripts (technically, doing an HTTP POST to a URL) on
various events. I can't remember exactly if Submitted or Discarded hooks
into this, but it could be made to if it doesn't.

I'll probably create an early 1.6 branch for development before long which
will have this. You could make use of this branch if you want to use this
sooner, though you'd have to maintain your own packages internally.

The way it works is that you have a script hosted on a web server somewhere.
It could be PHP, Python, whatever. It responds to an HTTP POST and knows how
to take a certain payload and return certain information. You would then
reference this URL in the admin UI for different events.

2) It's quite possible we'll have some level of theme support (perhaps as a
Summer of Code project) for letting admins configure their own templates by
basically just overriding parts that they need. That's not happening for
1.5, but maybe 1.6.

3) We're working on extensions support. There are branches for it today, but
it's nowhere near ready for production use. However, it will allow for more
advanced customization without modifying Review Board.

As for the suggestions for changing how settings works, I'd actually rather
do nothing about this right now. I feel that while we'd get a lot of
flexibility, it would increase our support burden, and there's rarely a case
where this would need to be used anyway. The customizations you're
referencing will be there in a much easier way in future releases, and if
you really need to specify your own TEMPLATE_DIRS, you can define it without
inheriting and just shove the old values in there. Much easier than a whole
new import mechanism :)