My apologies, I don't think we ever responded to you on this topic. Did you
ever find a solution here?

Basically, there's no great way to migrate content today and merge it with
another instance. There are some old scripts in the source tree's
contrib/db/ directory for exporting/importing, but they'd have to be
modified to handle the new models in the right order. However, that would
overwrite your existing database.

The webapi isn't really suitable for what you need. It doesn't provide a
database-level representation, and doesn't allow creating all the
information needed for fully transplanting a database.

The problem is that there are a lot of database tables that rely on keeping
IDs correct. A plain SQL dump will expect to be able to use the IDs as they
were in the old database. Some very careful scripts would need to be written
to grab the data out of a database with all the linked information and then
import it properly. It'd be great if someone took the initiative to write
this, but we have our hands full and it's unlikely we will in the near
future.