Hi Christian,

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Christian Hammond <chip...@chipx86.com> wrote:
> My apologies, I don't think we ever responded to you on this topic. Did you
> ever find a solution here?
>
> Basically, there's no great way to migrate content today and merge it with
> another instance. There are some old scripts in the source tree's
> contrib/db/ directory for exporting/importing, but they'd have to be
> modified to handle the new models in the right order. However, that would
> overwrite your existing database.

After our small conversation on twitter, I figured out that I'll use
the MySQL dump. That worked just fine for moving data, as is, to a new
installation. But I'm afraid, I'll not get access to MySQL for the
other server that was being used by one of our teams as a temporary
solution.

> The webapi isn't really suitable for what you need. It doesn't provide a
> database-level representation, and doesn't allow creating all the
> information needed for fully transplanting a database.
>
> The problem is that there are a lot of database tables that rely on keeping
> IDs correct. A plain SQL dump will expect to be able to use the IDs as they
> were in the old database. Some very careful scripts would need to be written
> to grab the data out of a database with all the linked information and then
> import it properly. It'd be great if someone took the initiative to write
> this, but we have our hands full and it's unlikely we will in the near
> future.

I'm still very new to DJango and RB. I'll see what I can do here.
Unfortunately, can't confirm / commit anything as of now. :(

Srinidhi.