On 2010-04-14 12:42, Jan Koprowski wrote:
On Apr 14, 7:05 pm, Matthew Woehlke<mw_tr...@users.sourceforge.net>
So, while wondering why a request was taking a while to post, I was
poking around for the logs, and noticed that the lighttpd log had grown
to over 240 MiB. "Okay," I said to myself, "I need to put a stop to
this. This really should be rotated out and the old stuff discarded."

Well, various sources say I can do that for lighttpd with logrotate and
'service lighttpd reload'. But will that work for Review Board's log?
What is the proper way to rotate Review Board's log file?

Log rotating is rather system outside mechanism then Python. You
should some methods provided in Your system to that stuff then

Apologies, I'm not sure I have understood what you wrote.

I would like to use logrotate to manage Review Board's logs. I think that is what you mean when you say 'you should use some method provided by the system'? But for that to work, Review Board needs to close and re-open the log file, otherwise it will continue writing to the renamed (and eventually, unlinked) log file rather than starting over.

It seems 'service lighttpd reload' instructs lighttpd to close and reopen its log files. The question is, how to make Review Board do likewise? Will Review Board also reload its logs when lighttpd is signaled? If not, is there some other way to signal Review Board to reopen its log file?

If it isn't possible to signal Review Board to reopen its log file, then some method other than logrotate is needed. (Or... re*start* lighttpd, but that means a service interruption I would prefer to avoid.)