Hi Jan,

Sorry for the really late responses. I'm trying to work my way through a
backlog of e-mail and review requests.

I don't think using text to mark up things like tabs is what we want to do.
It's a bit distracting and looks as if the text is part of the codebase
(given that we have syntax highlighting).

Tabs are standard in many codebases and are considered normal. In others,
spaces are normal. The problem is, anything we do to specially mark up one
versus the other will cause problems with certain people. This is one of
those things that, in large companies, may differ on a per-path-basis (as
different teams may have their own standards in different parts of the same
repository).

I don't really know what a good solution to this would be to make everyone
happy. It's similar to the "how many spaces should a tab be" problem, which
I also don't have a good answer for and so have left it alone.