Thanks Christian.  That certainly addresses my question #1.

I am using a DVCS (Mercurial).

Let me restate and add to my #2:

 - would it be possible to warn the user and/or the reviewer if the parent
of two diffs in the same review request are different?

 - would it be possible to show in the interface the diff's parent
revision?  Currently, it seems to show the parent diff's parent revision.

 - The user interface when there are multiple revisions of a diff is
slightly unintuitive.  For instance, see
http://demo.reviewboard.org/r/1688/diff/4/ .  It would be slightly more
intuitive if the "4" in the "Changes between r4 and" line were deleted.
As-is, the user interface seems to indicate that we are currently looking at
"Changes between r4 and 4", which is not what we are looking at ("Changes
between r4 and 4" would represent an empty diff).