I have just started trying to use" Review Board  1.5 beta 2 (dev)".  I
am using cvs (with a pserver now) and when trying to upload my first
diff (using the web page, not post-review), I got the error message
mentioned in the subject line.  Some searching on this group shows
that this issue was identified earlier:

http://groups.google.com/group/reviewboard/browse_thread/thread/d5fa15a9e93ef6a2
and was patched, and the patch was accepted:
    http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/issues/detail?id=535
but that due to later revisions, the bug has reappeared:

http://groups.google.com/group/reviewboard/browse_thread/thread/2f507a12b49ed11c
and no one replied because after all, who still uses CVS?

Anyway, I discovered something that might help fellow suffering CVS
users.  The start of my unified diff file (cvs diff -u) looks like:

RCS file: /proj/cvs/def/proto1/app/controllers/some_file.rb,v
retrieving revision 1.38
retrieving revision 1.39
diff -u -r1.38 -r1.39
--- some_file.rb  27 Apr 2010 21:57:24 -0000      1.38
+++ some_file.rb  29 Apr 2010 15:40:24 -0000      1.39

I found that if I remove the CVS root from the path on the second
line, so that it reads:
RCS file: def/proto1/app/controllers/some_file.rb,v

then ReviewBoard accepts the diff without any problem.

--Paul