Wow - thank you so much Dana for clearing that up for me.

I do have one follow up question:

What do I have to do to have RBTools use "p4 diff" instead of "diff"?

I have both commands on my path, but it seems to utilize diff first.
In all honesty I installed GNU DiffUtils because I didn't think I
could use the P4 Diff command at all.

I do have the P4 Custom Tool integration working. It is wonderful :)