Thanks.  That put me on the right path to solving it.

To close the loop:

I had to create a ~/.ssh/config file (where ~/ == www-data's home dir)

The contents:
host svn.example.com
    user davidu

That caused it to actually try to ssh as davidu all the time, which
for some reason, it wasn't.

Now all works and life is mostly good.

Thanks,
David