I think what you really want is for moving the repository to not break
anything.

What exactly do you mean when you say it's moving? Is it the same repository
but in a new location? Or are you doing new work on a new repository but
keeping the old one around?

You won't get persistent caching unless you're using something like a
file-based cache (which is far less efficient than memcached), with an
unlimited cache size. I still wouldn't recommend it, but you could do it.