Glad it works for you, though I want to understand this a bit more.

When you say you run post-review with a dev box, I assume you mean that it's
still Apache looking for the /var/www/.ssh/id_dsa, right? is that a
different install from the main install, or is it just that you're running
post-review *on* the dev box?

Is this happening with an Apache install, or using devserver? Also, are you
running mod_python or fastcgi/wsgi?

Does your Apache config have the SetEnv HOME line? If so, I'm surprised
we're seeing that behavior, but it would indicate that Mercurial is never
seeing what we've set it to, unlike Subversion and Git.