When we first implemented this, we knew it was ugly, and had considered it a
sort of temporary stop-gap. But then Review Board got popular and people had
more pressing concerns, bug and feature-wise. So we never quite got around
to it.

What I've considered is a widget that shows all revisions and lets you
select a range between them. For example:

 1  2  3  4  5

The idea being that you could drag each handle to the revision you care
about, and then hit a button.

There's a jQuery widget for doing just this that I found recently. While I
don't really have time scheduled in 1.6 for this, maybe I or someone else
can play around with it and replace what we have today.