Skip did a perfect job sketching it. Thanks!

If you haven't used/seen Beyond Compare, please do yourself favor and
head to http://www.scootersoftware.com/moreinfo.php?zz=moreinfo_compare

The problem with too many tabs has been long solved by at least
browsers. Just see how Firefox does it with a drop down list to the
right. You do NOT want to use multiple rows of tabs like some earlier M
$ apps. It's usability disaster.

I'm not a web developer (I mainly do Java/Swing), but I'd be really
surprised if none of the gazillion libraries/toolkits out there has a
decent tabbed pane widget for web.