We switched from having to authenticate to the SMTP gateway (gmail) to
an internal SMTP gateway that doesn't require it.  Gmail didn't need
an email address for the user because it was able to pull it from the
authenticating user.  The internal SMTP gateway is open, so without
one it doesn't know how to route it properly.  Reviewboard was
probably sending it successfully, but our gateway was dropping it.
PEBCAK

-Ryan