Thanks Tim.

I have followed your advice as closely as I can, though our setups
differ slightly:

* I did not install memcached (maybe this is my problem?)
* I am using SQL lite
* I am using Python 2.5

So here's what I did do after reading your post:

* GNU Patch originally installed itself at "C:\Program Files
(x86)\GnuWin32" on my system. I copied it to "C:\GnuWin32" to mirror
your setup in case the spaces/path length were a problem.
* I copied patch.exe to c:\windows\system32
* I changed my system path to mimic yours as close as possible: "c:
\python25;C:\Python25\Scripts;"c:\GnuWin32\bin";%SystemRoot%
\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem"
* I didn't add "C:\PHP" or "C:\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin" to the PATH
as I don't have these in my setup.

I then restarted apache and still the same problem. I then rebooted
and still no good.

I am now thinking I should try installing memcached as this appears to
be the only significant difference between your system and mine. Will
update when I have tried this.

Any other thoughts appreciated.