I've tracked down the source of the problem, but I don't know of a
solution (if there is one).

I invoked rb-site on the test site we created when first testing
1.0.5.
It worked perfectly.

So I started using pdb to investigate where rb-site was failing on our
standard site, which led me to:
  django_evolution/management/__init__.py(54)evolution()->None ->
  old_proj_sig = pickle.loads(str(latest_version.signature))

Then I investigated the differences in the signature values in
django_project_version for the working and non-working
installations. The non-working one had ^M after every line because it
had been migrated from a Windows server.

My suspicion is that the signature pickled by the Windows server isn't
compatible with the Linux server. Is that a possbility?

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Any help would be much appreciated
(as is the help already given).