You're insane!

No, it may be reasonable to expose admin methods in the API. I just haven't
focused on that.

What you can do for now is to look at the URL and post data for creating a
user in the admin UI and then make sure you're passing the correct data to
that call. It's harder to deal with errors, but it's an option.

Another alternative is to actually implement the API functionality you need.
If you wanted to work on this, I could guide you on it.

As for the mixed auth, Review Board automatically falls to local auth if the
user couldn't be found in LDAP. There was a bug with Active Directory where
this wasn't working (fixed in 1.5) but as long as your LDAP server is
returning the proper results for invalid users, it should work
automatically. So you could certainly register users in that local store.

Do these users have accounts on the SVN server? You could potentially write
an auth backend that authenticates against SVN, though you'd have to do some
work to get both LDAP and this backend to chain.