I have a branch in my github dedicated to this, but it's been a while since
I changed it. Basically, some of the functionality we need for HTML5 Offline
isn't available in any browsers today, and last I checked is still just a
proposal.

To get technical, what we need is to be able to manually add files to an
offline cache. Today, browsers only support downloading a "manifest" file
that tells them what to get, but that's too static for our needs. The
expectation is that webapps are single-page apps, either very simple ones or
ones generating UI dynamically based on some backing store (which you *can*
cache, since there's essentially a database you can stuff data into for
offline use). Until we can say "Grab this page, and this file, and this one"
dynamically, we can't do HTML5 Offline.