SSH support for Subversion (and other types of repositories) was hard to set
up and required too much manual intervention. In 1.5, we added built-in
support for handling HTTPS and SSH. If you had an existing manual setup,
then it is indeed possible that the changes could cause problems.

You shouldn't *have* to use a username or password. It should be dependent
on what the server requests. I assume with your older setup, it was checking
your id_dsa.pub or something? Where was that stored?

What we recommend doing (and what is done for brand new installations) is to
create a data/ directory under your site directory and change ownership to
the user for your web server. That's where the .ssh directory should go. In
your case, you'd probably want your id_dsa.pub, etc. in that directory. You
should also make sure that you have in your Apache configuration for this
vhost:

    SetEnv HOME /path/to/site/data

Review Board will attempt to connect to the SVN server and try a variety of
methods to verify it. It will attempt password-less authentication, if it
has a public key to send over in that directory. If that fails, it will
attempt to use the username/password, if provided. If all valid SSH
authentication methods fail, then that user simply has no access to the
system, usually indicating a configuration problem.

So, there's definitely some migration work needed on your end, but it
shouldn't be much. The benefit is that on new installations, SSH-backed
repositories should essentially Just Work out of the box.