I wish I could say I've made progress, but I've been completely unable
to reproduce this. Some more questions would help narrow things down,
hopefully.

What authentication method are you using?

Do you have an HTTP proxy set on the client end?

Are there any changes made to your web server configuration beyond what we ship?

Is there anything else hosted on that Apache server?

Try running the development server by using: rb-site manage
/path/to/site runserver -- 0.0.0.0:8080. Then attempt to do the same
thing but with http://yourserver:8080/ as the base URL instead. See if
it continues to fail.